The part of this territory is now occupied by the Sverdlovsk Region. The Cossack detachment led by Yermak moved upstream the Chusovaya and Serebryanaya rivers (tributaries of the Kama River) to the Tagil Pass in the Ural mountains. The Cossacks laid their own path with an axe in their hands, cleared debris, fell trees, chopped making a clearcut. After rafting down the Tagil, they entered the Tura River. In the Urals, the "Russian Columbus" and his equipped squad of Cossacks defeated Khan Kuchum in Knyazhy Lug and conquered the Siberian Khanate. The Russian exploration of the Urals started with those events.
Replica of the oldest wooden monumental sculpture in the world. This Shigir Idol figure, found in the Urals, is more than 11,000 years old and twice as old as the Egyptian pyramids. The sculpture and other artifacts of that time were found during gold mining on the Shigir peatland, 70 kilometers from Ekaterinburg, in 1890. Even then, the value of the finding was appreciated and a decision was made to stop gold mining and begin archaeological excavations. Now this place is the territory of Kirovgrad. The idol keeps many secrets: no traces of decay were found on its lower part, which means that the sculpture was never kept in the ground, it never even touched it. There is also no consensus about what the zigzag drawings and characters depicted on the idol mean. The original of the Shigir Idol and a collection of items from that period are kept in the Sverdlovsk Regional Museum of Local History. In the collection one can see hunting weapons, fishing tools, household items, items of ancient metallurgy and much more.
The Nitsynsky Iron-Making Plant (Nevyansk Ore and Iron Works) is the first state-owned iron-making plant in the Urals, founded in 1630 and operating until 1699 on the territory of the modern village of Rudnoye (Sverdlovsk Region) along with the mine.
September 1582 - Yermak's detachment began a campaign against the Siberian Khanate
During the Great Patriotic War
The decree of Peter I detached the Ural factories into a separate state with its own laws, which was directly subordinate to the emperor. The capital of this "country" was Ekaterinburg city-factory, founded by Tatishchev. The first "privatization" in the history of Russia took place in the Urals and the first oligarchs, the Demidovs manufacturers, appeared here. The legendary Demidovs' Tower still stands at the Nevyansk Plant. It is a symbol of the mining civilization and one of the most visited tourist sites in the Sverdlovsk Region.
At the end of the 18th century, the factories of the Urals (a total of about 200 ironworks were built in the region) made Russia the world industrial leader. Only such independent "power" was able to turn the Chusovaya River into the main road of the Urals. The river was filled with water from the factory ponds and caravans with cargoes were floating along it. The ancient stone piers, canals and rock-fighters, at which the factory ships were crashed, have been preserved on the Chusovaya.
1630 - the first iron making plant began its work
In 1941-1942, equipment of more than 700 enterprises from the central part of the USSR was evacuated to the Urals and three giant tank factories were created. During the war years, scientists and designers of these plants created more than a hundred models of combat vehicles. Most of them were produced as in-line production. Later the Urals started to be called the "Forge of Victory" and "the stronghold of the state".